Monday, January 26, 2009

Having just ended Something, I'm glad there are certain things in the world I can count on, like a cheeky Pet Shop Boys interview on their forthcoming album:
Q: Do the lyrics tell a story?

A: Not really, they're more of a 'Love Comes Quickly' / 'Before' / 'You've Got To Start Somewhere'-style instance of Neil doing his benefit-of-experience 'thing'. So it's written from the outside going "hello, I am Neil Tennant, this is what I have discovered in my life and perhaps you would do well to listen to my top tips on love etc if you are interested in a kiss and a cuddle".

Q: Do you think it will sell well outside their core fanbase?

A: Combined with the Brits performance it could do. It's the most Radio One-friendly track they've done in a while.

Q: Does it feature an orchestra?

A: No.

Q: Can you dance to it?

A: Not really.

Q: Is it camp?

A: No.

Q: Does it have pathos, drama or euphoria?

A: No.

Q: Does it contain witty observational lyrics?

A: Yes.

Q: Does it have an underlying sadness?

A: No, unless you count the implicit sadness that people are materialistic in their view of love etc.

No comments: