Monday, June 16, 2008

Deborah Solomon a cranky and rather useless interview with Gore Vidal, who can't be bothered anything but growl stale bon mots. But his paranoia is so succinct it's funny:
And what about Mr. McCain?

Disaster. Who started this rumor that he was a war hero? Where does that come from, aside from himself? About his suffering in the prison war camp?

Everyone knows he was a prisoner of war in North Vietnam
.

That’s what he tells us.

Why would you doubt him? He’s a graduate of Annapolis.

I know a lot of the Annapolis breed. Remember, I’m West Point, where I was born. My father went there.

So what does that have to do with the U.S. Naval Academy down in Annapolis
?

The service universities keep track of each other, that’s all. They have views about each other. And they are very aware of social class and eventually money, since they usually marry it.

How, exactly, is your cousin Al Gore related to you
? They keep explaining it to me, and I keep forgetting.

No comments: