Tuesday, June 9, 2009

In no order, my favorite albums of this half-finished year, on my most indiecentric list ever:

Wussy - Wussy
Neko Case - Middle Cyclone
Marianne Faithfull - Easy Come, Easy Go
DOOM - Born Like This
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!
Bill Callahan - Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle
Amadou & Mariam - Welcome to Mali
Art Brut - Art Brut vs Satan
Franz Ferdinand - Tonight: Franz Ferdinand
Electrik Red - How To Be a Lady, Volume 1

I'm not as enthusiastic about any of these as I was at this point last year about Erykah Badu, Robert Forster, and Portishead; it's possible that I expended more energy hating Animal Collective than in listening to new music. 

7 comments:

Hansel Castro said...

Thanks for the Art Brut love!

Alfred Soto said...

I've have more to say about it in a couple of days.

Anonymous said...

what about Beyond Here Lies Nothing? a return to l&t form, i think. rock and rollickin' good tunes on it!

-alex blanco

Anonymous said...

oops, i meant Together Through Life. Jarvis Cocker's Further Complications is another breeze. it's a break-up album posing as a mid-life crisis collection.

Alfred Soto said...

"Return to form" from what -- being good? The album sucks.

Anonymous said...

sure doesn't. take another twenty-five listens to it and it'll grow on you. you may even find yourself dancing to shake shake mama.

M said...

I can tell you from experience that 25 listens turn it into a minor pleasure at the most.