Wednesday, March 19, 2008

"The Platonic Blow"

This ribald wonder is, as New York Magazine's Vulture blog remarked, hilariously awful, but so Auden, what with its mix of polish, camp, and crudeness (imagine Clifton Webb caught writing dirty limericks to Dana Andrews). Here's a choice excerpt from "The Platonic Blow":
...I opened a gap in the flap. I went in there.
I sought for a slit in the gripper shorts that had charge
Of the basket I asked for. I came to warm flesh then to hair.
I went on. I found what I hoped. I groped. It was large.

He responded to my fondling in a charming, disarming way:
Without a word he unbuckled his belt while I felt.
And lolled back, stretching his legs. His pants fell away.
Carefully drawing it out, I beheld what I held.

The circumcised head was a work of mastercraft
With perfectly beveled rim of unusual weight
And the friendliest red. Even relaxed, the shaft
Was of noble dimensions with the wrinkles that indicate

Singular powers of extension. For a second or two,
It lay there inert, then suddenly stirred in my hand,
Then paused as if frightened or doubtful of what to do.
And then with a violent jerk began to expand...

No comments: